Le site CIF Watch a été créé pour rendre compte de cette hostilité du Guardian. CIF Watch s'est aperçu (curieuse omission) que dans la section "Vacances" (Guardian Holiday Offers) où le journal propose des voyages organisées à ses lecteurs le nom d'Israël a purement et simplement été remplacé par "Moyen Orient". Or le "package touristique" s'intitule: "Jérusalem, la Galilée et la Mer Morte".
Itinéraire", il n'y a pas la moindre référence à l'Etat d'Israël, mais CIF Watch a relevé que tout ce que y est proposé se trouve (à une seule exception) en ... Israël:
- Seven nights in four-star hotels with dinner (Presumably in Israel?!)
- Guided tour of Caesarea, ancient Roman capital of Judea (Israel)
- Walking tour of Acre, the only fully preserved crusader city in the world (Israel)
- Boat cruise on the Sea of Galilee (Israel)
- Visit the serene site of the Sermon on the Mount (just north of the Sea of Galilee in Israel) and the Church of the Multiplication (in Tabgha, on the northwest shore of the Sea of Galilee in Israel)
- Visit the spectacular fortress of Masada (Israel)
- See Nazareth and the Church of the Annunciation (Israel)
- Guided visit to the holiest site in Christendom, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem (Israel)
- See the famous Dome of the Rock and the Western Wall, holy sites of Islam and Judaism (Israel)
- Visit Bethlehem and the Church of the Nativity (Palestinian territories)
- Walking tour of the Jewish, Christian and Muslim quarters of the Old City of Jerusalem (Israel)
- See the Dead Sea Scrolls & the Yad Vashem, the moving memorial to the Holocaust (Israel)
- Stay on the Dead Sea, the lowest point on earth (Israel)
Jerusalem, Galilee & The Dead SeaLucie Lattimer (Travel Business Manager at The Guardian & The Observer):
Thank for your email regarding the Riviera Travel tour to Jerusalem, Galilee & the Dead Sea promoted as a Guardian reader offer. We are of course aware of the political issues in this region and the decision was taken to promote this tour in the ‘Middle East’ region as it is a neutral term for the destinations visited. We take the comments of our readers very seriously and appreciate the time you’ve taken to write to us. Guardian Holiday Offers have been running for 10 years and we offer holidays that we hand-pick through certain trusted partners that we believe our readers will be interested in and will find culturally informative. Our relationship with Riviera Travel has spanned this decade and they are the most popular tour operator with Guardian and Observer readers. They have an excellent record of customer service and culturally fascinating tours.
The decision to promote this particular tour was a thoroughly thought through process involving us, Riviera Travel and the Guardian Travel editorial team. In this tour we aim to give an equal billing to the civilisations, past and present, that exist in that region dating all the way back to 800BC. It also aims to visit the unique physical attributes of that region – most notably the Dead Sea. We know that the politics of this region are fragile but aim to offer our readers the choice to visit this culturally important part of the world. The tour visits areas which are Islamic, Judaic, Christian and Armenian. It is an educational tour of the holy land involving tours around all these religious quarters, not just Israeli, and we feel for our readers that it is an educational and cultural experience that creates awareness. We aim to give our readers the choice about where they visit.