NGO Monitor: EUROPEAN GOVERNMENT FUNDING FOR ZOCHROT’S “RETURN OF PALESTINIAN REFUGEES” CONFERENCE.
- On September 29-30, 2013, Zochrot, an Israeli NGO that promotes the Palestinian narrative of “Nakba” and “return,” has scheduled a conference in Tel Aviv titled “From Truth to Redress: Realizing the Return of Palestinian Refugees.”
- Zochrot seeks to “raise public awareness of the Palestinian Nakba…The memory and responsibility that the Jewish public should take on the Palestinian Nakba are basic conditions to peace between people, but it is not enough. Along with it, the rights of the refugees to return must be accepted.” Thisagenda is equivalent to calling for the elimination of Israel as the nation-state of the Jewish people.
- Also accuses Israel of “ethnic cleansing,” using the rhetoric of the 2001 Durban Conference demonization strategy.
- According to the conference program, “The conference is made possible thanks to the generous support of: Misereor, Christian Aid, HEKS-EPER, CCFD, Finn Church Aid, Broederlijk Delen, AFSC, Rosa Luxemburg Foundation, Mennonite Central Committee, Trocaire, St. Het Solidariteitsfonds, Oxfam GB and private donors.”
- These foundations are primarily funded by European governments (see table below). Funding for Zochrot contradicts the foreign policies of these governments. For instance, last week German Chancellor Angela Merkel told a German newspaper, “For those who share my view that the Jews as a people have a right to self-determination, Zionism as a national movement of the Jewish people is the embodiment of this very right which its opponents want to deny.”
- Lack of transparency: The sponsors receive government funds, and are subject to democratic transparency principles on allocations of taxpayer funds. Nevertheless, the donor responses invent excuses such as “privacy” to hide the amounts given to Zochrot.